Childhood Neurological Disorders
A list of childhood neurological disorders that are familiar and/or commonly encountered is given below and these disorders are also called as pediatric neurological disorders.
Note that in general many of the human diseases can occur almost at any age, but the incidence usually varies, sometimes significantly. And consistent with this observation - there are many neurological conditions although can occur almost at any age however more frequently seen in a child than an adult. The below list will mention some of such common conditions.
Congenital (person born with):
• Migrational disorders
• Spina bifida, myelocele, myelomeningocele
• Tethered cord syndrome
• Congenital Myopathy (e.g. central core disease ) etc
Genetic (hereditary & non hereditary):
• Muscular Dystrophies (e.g Duchenne muscular dystrophy, Becker’s muscular dystrophy)
• Inborn Errors of Metabolism
• Neurocutaneous syndromes (e.g. neurofibromatosis, tuberous sclerosis etc)
• Peroxisomal Disorders
• Spinal Muscular Atrophy
• Meningitis (listeria, meningococcal, H influenza et)
• Encephalitis (e.g. herpes encephalitis, West Nile, Japanese Encephalitis) etc
• Brain Stem Glioma
• Pilocytic astrocytoma etc.
• Any childhood head, spine, nerve or muscle injury
• Congenital stroke
• Stroke in childhood etc
• ADEM (Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis)
• ADHD (ADD or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
The individual conditions are discussed in detail and click on the links above to go to those pages. Detailed information on the clinical manifestations (presentations), diagnosis & treatment (management) are discussed there.
Unfortunately several genetic disorders start manifesting during the childhood. Although genetic disorders can present during adult life as well however when they present during early life they usually are x linked or autosomal recessive and may progress rapidly. A curative treatment is still not available for majority of these conditions but some encouraging results are coming out with treatments like gene therapy, ERT (enzyme replacement therapy) etc.
A Neurologist is commonly involved in the care of neurological diseases that occur during the childhood and many times a multidisciplinary treatment approach is required depending upon the individual condition and its level of progression. So it is not unusual to see several other physicians and/or medical staff involved in the care of patients with childhood neurological disorders e.g. neurosurgeons, orthopedic surgeons, psychologist, physical, occupational, speech therapists etc.
From Childhood Neurological Disorders to Neurology Articles
To Home page of WWW.YOUR-NEUROLOGIST.COM
Enjoy this page? Please carry it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.